What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
According to a report handed to Gloucestershire Deputy Coroner, 82-year-old Keith Hoskins died of mesothelioma - a condition that affects the inner-lining of cells in the lungs - last year after being exposed to the substance during the early stages of his career with the Royal Navy, the Plymouth Herald reports.
Mr Hoskins began work on a dockyard in Plymouth in 1944 and his wife Barbara noted that he informed her that all the ships he operated on "contained asbestos for heat and fire insulation", as well as pipe lagging.
He was described as being "fit, active and independent" up until October of last year, when he began suffering with health issues related to the condition.
This is similar to an instance reported by the Oxford Times recently, in which an 86-year-old woman passed away from an asbestos-related illness after coming into contact with the material when she worked in a factory in the 1950s.
Posted by Craig Williams
Claims Direct is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 58 Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3HZ and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.