Gas fitter to face damages pursuit?

Legal action may be taken against a gas engineer after it emerged he potentially put the employees and customers of two takeaways at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Duncan Frere was found to have completed defective work after being hired to install and connect several gas appliances at the Super Kebab House in Ipswich over the summer of 2010.

The 37-year-old self-employed professional was also paid to do safety checks on gas equipment at the Kishmish Indian Takeaway in the town in March last year.

However, an investigation conducted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) established that Mr Frere was not trained or registered in this area, meaning he does not have the requisite qualifications or competency to conduct such work.

Julie Rayner of the body commented: "HSE will not hesitate to prosecute people who break the law in this way."

This comes after Phillip Birchmore - trading as PSB Plumbing and Heating - was penalised for carrying out faulty gas work on a property in Newark in August 2010.

Posted by Emily Swanson ADNFCR-1500-ID-801350482-ADNFCR

26/04/2012 16:30