Newlyweds to seek compensation for food poisoning

A newly-wed couple are starting a compensation claim after their big day was spoiled by a widespread bout of food poisoning.

Alex Hamill and wife Nicola tied the knot at the four-star Letchworth Hall Hotel in Hertfordshire but were then both affected by serious illness during their honeymoon in Las Vegas.

Consequently, the couple were forced to spend the majority of their time in the US in their hotel room and, after returning to the UK, they found out 47 people who had attended their wedding were also sick with similar symptoms.

The hotel - which charged the pair £16,000 to host their big day - has now been fined £8,300 for its negligence and Mr and Mrs Hamill plan to pursue a damages claim.

Mrs Hamill commented: "The whole thing spoilt the memory of the day. We had saved for years and the whole occasion was ruined."

Posted by Francesca WitneyADNFCR-1500-ID-801383012-ADNFCR

12/06/2012 16:45