Tour operators compensate guests for food poisoning

Tour operators compensate guests for food poisoning 25450

A number of tour operators have compensated guests after a hotel was found to be behind a bout of food poisoning.

First Choice yesterday agreed to a £1.9 million settlement brought by more than 400 vacationers who stayed at the Bahia Principe resort in the Dominican Republic in 2007.

The compensation comes after similar agreements to recompense viewer using Thomas Cook, My Travel and Thompson's services.

Guests involved in the incidents were struck down by severe illnesses including salmonella, shigella and campylobacter.

In total, nearly 1,000 people were represented by one legal firm, who acted on their behalf to secure the compensation at a court in London.

One of the solicitors involved said: "We are delighted our clients have received a fair settlement after enduring such terrible times at the Bahia Principe. There have been problems at the hotel on and off for ten years in the lead up to the 2007 outbreak and we are still receiving complaints.

"We remain very concerned that hotels and tour operators have not learned vital lessons and that all too often holidaymakers suffer illness."

Visitors to the resort said they saw food left out in the sun for hours and fly-covered food that was undercooked in areas shared with mice, birds and dogs.

Toilets at the hotel were also in poor condition and vacationers reported a smell of urine, sewage and vomit in and around many of the rooms.

In fact, the problem was so bad at the resort, many people there said cockroaches and ants were widespread and fed on rubbish on the grounds.

A spokesperson for Thomas Cook said it took reports of illness seriously and remarked it was very concerned at the outbreak of sickness among customers.

The firm said it will now work in a more thorough manner to continually monitor hygiene standards at resorts it uses for its clients.

Posted by Francesca Witney