Staffordshire worker severs finger

Staffordshire worker severs finger 25603

A Staffordshire furniture company has been hit by a large fine after one of its employees had his finger cut off by an unguarded machine in a work accident.

The 61-year-old from Stone was attempting to clean the edge of a banding machine when the incident happened.

Stafford Magistrates' Court heard that his little finger was caught in a rotating blade and cut clean off.

A later investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that a guard that was supposed to be attached to the machine to stop employees putting their digits inside moving components was removed.

Because of this error, Incube - the man's employers - was fined £8,000 and told to pay £1,025 in costs after pleading guilty to a breach of guidelines.

After the hearing was finished, HSE inspector Wayne Owen commented: "The woodworking industry has one of the highest incident rates in manufacturing, most of which are caused by contact with moving machinery."

By Francesca Witney