What Can I do if I have an Electrical Problem in my Student House?

What Can I Do About Electrical Problems in my Student House?

Electrical Safety First and the National Union of Students (NUS) have found that thousands of students are at risk from dodgy electrics, faulty appliances and houses in disrepair.

The research has found that 27% of students have experienced dangerous electrical problems in their rented accommodation and thousands are being ignored by landlords when they report the problem.

As a student you have a right to live in a safe environment, free from hazards, and definitely out of harm from dangerous electrics. The NUS research found that problems ranged from exposed wiring, to electric shocks from sockets and light switches, faulty appliances and many more.

So what can I do if I’m experiencing a problem in my student house?

Well firstly, tell your landlord about the problem. Your landlord must keep the house safe and in a good condition.
A landlord has the responsibility to ensure that all electrics are safe, all appliances - both electric and gas - are in a good working order, maintained, and have appropriate certification.

If your landlord ignores you, go to your university. They often have a register of local landlords and can put pressure on them to fix problems. This works really well if your university promotes accommodation for landlords as they can threaten to remove them from their listings.

Still no luck? Then go to your local council. You can ask the council to inspect the property under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System and they will take any action that is necessary. If the council finds serious hazards, they will take enforcement action to make sure the hazard is removed.

I’ve been injured by dodgy electrics or a faulty appliance in my student house. What can I do?

It’s your landlord’s responsibility to ensure that all electrics are safe, and therefore if you are hurt by something in the house that hasn’t been maintained then it’s your landlord’s fault. You can claim compensation for any injuries sustained, and any ongoing treatment you may need.

If you have been injured due to a faulty product or appliance, Claims Direct lawyers will be able to assess your case on a No Win No Fee basis.

For a free consultation call us on freephone 0800 884 0321 or start your claim online and we will be happy to help.

Have you had any experiences of dodgy student accommodation? Let us know in the comments below.