What time would you prefer us to contact you?
Please complete mandatory fields
We weigh up the positives and negatives of young and old drivers to find out once and for all who is best.
- Young drivers pay more for their insurance. In fact, young drivers can pay as much as three times more than older drivers for the insurance policies. But is this fair?
- Drivers aged 17 – 19 are the most likely to die in a road traffic accident.
+ Quicker reactions.
- Old drivers can struggle when needed to make quick decisions.
- The older you get the slower your reactions become and the more your vision deteriorates. The slower your reaction time the greater your breaking distance is and the more likely you are to crash should you be required to make an emergency stop. If your eyes are getting worse, so too is your ability to judge distance, depth and speed all of which will reduce your ability to drive well.
- Older drivers can struggle to turn around quickly. Many older people suffer restricted movement due to rheumatism, arthritis, stiffness and old age.
- According to the Institute of Advanced Motorists, drivers over the age of 85 are four times more likely to have caused a crash than to have been involved in a collision that wasn’t their fault.
+ On average the cheapest insurance is offered to drivers aged 71 and over. But does this mean they are better drivers, safer or just less likely to have an accident?
+ Old people adapt their driving style, by adopting a cautious driving style drivers are less likely to be involved in accidents caused by drink driving, speeding or reckless driving.
According to both the RAC Foundation and the Institute of Advanced Motorists, older drivers are safer than younger drivers.
So if we are judging who are the better drivers on safety statistics, young drivers are, on average, the more dangerous. So, this makes older drivers the winners.
Claims Direct deal with injury claims for people, both young and old, who have been injured in road traffic accidents on a No Win No Fee basis.
For a free consultation call freephone 0800 884 0321 or start a claim online and we'll call you.
Claims Direct is a trading name of Slater and Gordon UK Limited, a company registered in England & Wales with registration number 07931918, VAT 125 446 327, registered office 58 Mosley Street, Manchester, M2 3HZ and is an approved Alternative Business Structure authorised and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority and authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority for insurance mediation activity.